Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Sudden Loss

First, apologies for my long absence from this blog. I decided to take a long break from blogging while I was out for Christmas. Also, I had nothing to blog about. But mainly I just wanted to take some time off.

So, I'm back at school for this semester, and I must inform you, my readers, of a great loss in my life. While attending daily Mass this week, I noticed it: a conspicuous lack of pretty veils. I know that, as a male, I am sticking my neck out on this one, but I feel it must be said. This is, after all, one of those topics that political correctness dictates be left to the ladies. So go ahead, call me old-fashioned, misogynistic, etc. but I think this needs to be said. One of the things I have loved about St. Mary's from the very start was the number of young women who chose to veil. Every day, there were 5 or 6 veils present in the pews. So far this semester: 2. I know it's a small thing, but there's just something about a girl with a veil that sets my heart aflutter.
It's a good thing I don't have heart disease; she could have ended me
Now, because I have a vestigial self-preservation instinct, I will not officially advocate that veils be required, but it would be nice to see a little encouragement of this ancient tradition!

Also, Mr. Joseph Koss from Defend us in Battle, should you ever come across the post: Thank you for recommending The Spirit of the Liturgy by Josef Cardinal Ratzinger! While I cannot read it for more than about an hour straight, it is a most worthwhile read. Here are a few quotes for those who haven't read.

"Thus, Adoration is not opposed to Communion, nor is it merely added to it. No, Communion only reaches its true depths when it is surrounded by adoration. The Eucharistic Presence in the tabernacle does not set another view of the Eucharist alongside or against the Eucharistic Celebration, but simply signifies its fulfillment. For this Presence has the effect, of course, of keeping the Eucharist forever in church. The church never becomes a lifeless space but is always filled with the presence of the Lord, which comes out of the celebration, leads us into it, and always makes us participants in the cosmic Eucharist.... [A] church in which the eternal light is burning before the tabernacle is always alive, is always something more than a building made of stones. In this place the Lord is waiting for me, calling me, wanting to make me 'eucharist.' In this way, he prepares me for the Eucharist, sets me in motion toward his return."              -pg. 90

Pope Benedict XVI is a truly remarkable man. One can sense in his writings such a passionate love for the Lord, and such humility! It reminds me of how he described his reaction to being elected Pontiff to German Journalist Peter Seewald

"All I was able to say to the Lord was simple: 'What are you doing with me? Now the responsibility is yours. You must lead me! I can't do it. If you wanted me, then you must also help me!'"

How many of us could have that same reaction?

Finally, here's a great video for your troubles. Watch, and be merry!

2 comments:

  1. I second your admiration and appreciation of veils.

    Also, glad the book is hitting you the same way it got to me. I can't recommend it enough :)

    ReplyDelete