Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Daily Catch

So, I don't really feel like doing too much original content tonight. Instead, I'm going to let much better writers than I entertain you tonight.

The OC (Original Content): The big news today is that I officially turned in my two-weeks-notice to my bosses at the YMCA. It's been fun working there, and I've made some good money, but It's almost time to go back to College Station! My last day will be the 18th of August, which gives me one whole day to pack up the car and do my final checks before I move into my new apartment. I'm teaching a TON of swim lessons this session, and I must say it wears my patience thin sometimes. Luckily I have an hour break before my last evening class, and my evening class is a nice relaxing adult class. I could teach them all day.

That's it for me though, now for the good stuff:

I found this map over at Creative Minority Report, and I thought it was just hilarious

Pretty darn clever. I wish I could come up with things like this.

Next, I would like to turn our attention to a new article written by New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan. I think Abp. Dolan is one of the greatest men of our time. You're free to disagree with me, but his writings tend to be very pointed, yet charitable, and are always well reasoned and solid. Anyways, allow me to exerpt from this newest piece



The headline was so familiar: Yet another group was “challenging the Vatican” on something, this time, on upholding the timeless teaching of the Church that only men are called to the Sacrament of Holy Orders.


One can’t really find too much fault with the content of the article… What one does find frustrating is the tenor of the headline and the article that “the Vatican” has these bizarre, outmoded, oppressive “policies” that need to be “revised” so that such “guidelines of Rome” are brought more in line with enlightened thinking of today.
One would think that leaders in “the Vatican” occasionally meet to decide what “rules” they should issue or reinforce today, or what changes in procedure they should introduce to guarantee that the Church is more relevant.

While this seems to be the presumption of most people who attempt to report on the Church, it is, indeed, a presumption that is invalid.

“The Vatican” is a plot of ground the size of an eighteen-hole golf course on the banks of the Tiber River in Rome…

These 108 acres, “the Vatican” have absolutely no authority at all to alter the teaching of the Church.  Its sacred duty, rather, is to preserve and hand on the deposit of faith we have received from revelation, from the Bible, from Jesus, from His apostles.

So, to imply that the Successor of St. Peter, Pope Benedict XVI, and his closest aides regularly meet as some political entity to read the latest poll and “change Church policy,” like that of ordaining only men, is silly.

Call it whatever you went — “the Vatican,” “Rome,” “the Pope,” “the Holy See,” “the Magisterium” — whatever you call it, it does not “make up,” “change,” or “issue” new doctrines.  It inherits them, receives them, “handed on” (from the Latin word tradiitio,) by Tradition.

Yes, it may rethink how the truth entrusted to it might be better explained, or more credibly presented, or expressed in a more contemporary way.

Yes, it might become concerned when it’s clear that a good chunk of people no longer follow a particular teaching or moral precept.

But it does not then call a meeting and vote whether or not to change the teaching.

At times it – “the Vatican,” “Rome,” “the Pope,” “the Holy See,” “the Magisterium” — might even wish it could change certain teachings.  For instance, I would wager most bishops, priests, deacons, pastoral leaders, and maybe even the Holy Father himself has, at one time or another wished the Church could alter the teaching of Jesus that marriage is forever, and that one cannot break that sacred bond asunder.

But it can’t, because it didn’t make up the teaching to begin with.

In the end, of course, our challenge is not to change the teachings of Jesus and His Church to conform to our whims, but to change our lives to conform to His teaching.

That’s a headline you won’t see.

You are only too correct, Sir,

My final thought to share with you comes from the brilliant mind of the great Fr. Robert Barron. I urge you to watch this video through to the end, it is illuminating.

Pax vobiscum

No comments:

Post a Comment