Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lovely Lady Dressed in Blue

Here I am, returning to my habit of late night posts. Oh well.

Today was my last day of working for the YMCA of Arlington. Can't really say that I am sad or anything.

the main point of today's post is to bring to you a wonderful prayer/poem and a wonderful man. The poem is titled "Lovely Lady Dressed in Blue" by Mary Dixon Thayer. It was made famous in the 19950's b one of the greatest men of the 20th century, and one of the greatest Catholic leaders America has ever produced, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.


Abp. Sheen is sort of a hero to me. He was that rare combination of scholar and personality; one who could understand and explain complex theological, philosophical, and practical issues and in such a way that anyone could then understand them, but who could also hold an audience's attention long enough to really make a difference. He was an incredibly successful Author, television personality, evangelist, apologist, and he had one of the most beautiful, dedicated devotions to the Blessed Mother I have ever encountered.

Anyways, on to the poem:


"Lovely Lady Dressed in Blue"


Lovely Lady dressed in blue ------- 

Teach me how to pray! 
God was just your little boy, 
Tell me what to say!


Did you lift Him up, sometimes, 

Gently on your knee? 
Did you sing to Him the way 
Mother does to me?


Did you hold His hand at night? 

Did you ever try 
Telling stories of the world? 
O! And did He cry?


Do you really think He cares 

If I tell Him things ------- 
Little things that happen? And 
Do the Angels' wings


Make a noise? And can He hear 

Me if I speak low? 
Does He understand me now? 
Tell me -------for you know.


Lovely Lady dressed in blue ------- 

Teach me how to pray! 
God was just your little boy, 
And you know the way.

There is so much wisdom and insight packed into so very few words in this poem. This is, to me, the epitome of poetry. We can all learn a little from this poem. Also, it's a very common-sense example of why we honor Mary in the Catholic Church. Now, here's a four-part video of Archbishop Sheen on Mary





No comments:

Post a Comment